The health benefits of lamb bone broth are amazing. It can help with inflammation, can help to boost your immune system, and helps guard against the symptoms of the common cold, and even bronchitis. It can even strengthen your bones and teeth and help with weight loss too. Here is a basic recipe for some amazing lamb bone broth.
The equipment you will need:
• Large roasting tray
• Large Stock pot
• Strainer or colander
• Mason jars or other bottles for storage
The ingredients you will need: (The quantity you will need depends on the size of your equipment and how large a batch you wish to make.)
• Lamb bones
• Bay leaves
• Black peppercorns
• Star Anise
• Apple cider vinegar
Here is how you make it:
• Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Put the bones and vegetables on the roasting tray and put it in the oven for 30 minutes. Take out the tray and shake the bones and vegetables around a bit, and then back in the oven for another 30 minutes or so.
• Transfer the roasted vegetables and bones to a large pot filled with water.Put the pot on the stove and bring to a boil.
• As soon as the water comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and partly cover the pot. Let it simmer for at least 8 hours but, it can go up to 12 hours.
• Keep an eye on the broth as it simmers away. When you see foamy stuff coming to the top, remove it by dragging a papertowel across the top of the broth or skimming it.
• After at least 8 hours, but ideally 12, remove the broth from the heat and strain.
• Remove any meat and marrow still on the bones enjoy in your favourite way. Discard the vegetables, as they have served their purpose.
• When the broth has cooled, transfer them to the jars and place in the fridge to cool completely.
• Optional Step: When the broth has cooled, there will be a layer of fat at the top. If you want, you can discard that fat, however, it is not necessary. The fat adds to the flavour and carries plenty of nutrients.
You can even freeze the broth to be used when you are ready. It can be a great way to flavour soups and stews or to drink when you have a cold. If you want to try lamb bone broth before trying to make it, then Pasture to Plate sells ready-made bone broth for you to enjoy.